Companies acting in Orlando
June 15, 2016– Our country is mourning the tragedy in Orlando, and many companies have reached out to us asking how they can help. Several CECP companies have activated their support networks and have made donations to aid in Orlando’s response efforts. As of Tuesday, June 14th:
The Mayor of Orlando, Buddy Dyer, this morning announced the formation of theOneOrlando Fund, a project of Strengthen Orlando, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation created for the purpose of supporting and starting projects to strengthen the Orlando community (the fiscal agent for donations: Tax ID# 27-1964941). All money raised will be will be administered by the Central Florida Foundation. The Fund will support:
- Nonprofits that are supporting the victims and families
- The LGBTQ, Hispanic, faith, and other affected communities
- Underlying causes of this tragic event
- Other unanticipated needs
The Walt Disney Company, The Darden Foundation, JetBlue, and Orlando Magic and the National Basketball Association, as well as The Heart of Florida United Way and the Central Florida Community Foundation have all elected to contribute to this campaign. We will be tracking additional company actions over the coming days.
In addition, the City of Orlando has set up a page where volunteers can submit their contact details and offer a description of how they can help. OneBlood.org in Orlando has asked that those interested in donating blood make an appointment online.
Additional resources can be found here.
Because tragedy does always fit into predetermined corporate community investment strategies, companies will tap discretionary resources or those dedicated to supporting employee’s families and communities, and ensure that employees are aware of existing resources that can help. Additional company actions can include:
- Matching gift programs that enhance an employee’s personal giving impact.
- Official statements with appropriate information or to inspire others to support.
- CSR teams proactively supporting HR teams and company LGBT affinity groups, as they will be called on to a greater extent through the coming days.
- Activating unique services they can offer to the community of Orlando. For example, Jet Blue is offering free flights to victims’ families and partners to fly to Florida.
- An employee assistance fund supporting employees and their families affected by the tragedy.
We value hearing from you if you have specific knowledge to share as your company responds, and we will update you all as more comes in.
Please note that CECP is not endorsing the OneOrlando Fund or any other organizations mentioned in this email; we advise you to use the same level of scrutiny you would as you make any donation.