The Hartford Supports Asylum Hill Neighborhood and U.S. Paralympic Athletes
In November 2010, The Hartford announced a $7 million, five-year investment in Hartford’s Asylum Hill neighborhood, home to the company’s headquarters for more than 90 years, focused on revitalizing the neighborhood, educating children and developing outreach programs. Liam McGee, Chairman, President and CEO of The Hartford, will attend CECP's Board of Boards CEO Conference on International Corporate Philanthropy Day.
During the first year of the initiative, The Hartford invested more than $3 million in organizations and programs focused on improving Asylum Hill. Some initial results from this investment include:
- Razing of the blighted Capitol West building, which has been an eyesore and a barrier between Asylum Hill and downtown for more than 10 years.
- The Northside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance restored six blighted properties.
- 135 residents learned about financial stability at Co-opportunity’s Financial Resource Center.
- 53 residents living in supportive housing units at the YWCA’s Sorromundi Commons have access to counseling and employment services.
- The Chrysalis Center trained 75 individuals for employment in the food services industry.
- At The Village for Families & Children’s Center for Family Life, 119 women received bi-weekly case management, 36 women enrolled in the GED program and 40 families participated in support group meetings.
- 1,100 local students participated in Junior Achievement.
- 450 West Middle Elementary School students participated tutoring and mentoring programs through the After School Alliance.
- West Middle was identified as a new Community School, following a national model to improve student learning, develop stronger families and build healthier communities.
- The Hartford Consortium for Higher Education’s Career Beginnings will deliver college preparation and career readiness programs for up to 200 high school students.
|Supporting the CommunityEmployees from The Hartford participate in a Day of Caring to support the 2011 United Way campaign.
In 2011, The Hartford launched Achieve Without Limits, a multi-year campaign that champions U.S. Paralympic athletes and their dedication to achieve their goals.
The Hartford’s Achieve Without Limits campaign provides opportunities for consumers to meet U.S. Paralympic athletes, be inspired by their stories, and understand what it means to achieve without limits.
The national campaign leverages the authenticity inherent in The Hartford’s Ability Philosophy, its U.S. Paralympics founding partnership, as well as its “Achieve What’s Ahead” brand positioning. The Hartford has sponsored U.S. Paralympic athletes for more than 16 years and became the Official Disability Insurance Sponsor of U.S. Paralympics in 2003.
The campaign kickoff in spring 2011 included new television spots, digital advertising and a social media-driven donation. The ongoing initiative also features community events and a contest on Facebook.
As a result of the social media-driven donation last year, The Hartford donated more than $100,000 to U.S. Paralympics and 20 sport wheelchairs to two local Paralympic Sports Clubs.
Already, the campaign has resulted in the increased awareness of The Hartford’s role in helping all of its stakeholders achieve their goals.
The Hartford’s Achieve Without Limits campaign will culminate at the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
The Hartford’s employees are committed to supporting the communities where they work and live. In February 2011, The Hartford launched its Team Hart website to match employees with volunteer opportunities. More than 5,500 employees across the country have logged approximately 27,000 hours of volunteer activity serving 775 non-profit agencies.
The annual employee giving campaign supporting the United Way raised $2.8 million to benefit nonprofit agencies across the country. Employees also contribute to the Foodshare Walk Against Hunger and annual school supply and holiday gift drives.
About The Hartford
The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. (NYSE: HIG) is a leading provider of insurance and wealth management services for millions of consumers and businesses worldwide. The Hartford is consistently recognized for its superior service, its sustainability efforts and as one of the world's most ethical companies. More information on the company and its financial performance is available at www.thehartford.com. Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford.